Thursday, December 9, 2010

God and Christmas

There are so many people that express their opinions about Christmas, you may wonder why on Earth do I feel compelled to put in my two cents.

Besides the “why not?” response, I realize there are many folks who have heard the handwringing that ‘Christ is being taken out of Christmas’; the anger expressed by some when not every store clerk wishes them ‘merry Christmas’ – or, worse, wishes them ‘happy holidays’; the righteous indignation when public resources can no longer be used to display manger scenes. Without an appropriate response, some are very likely to agree with those expressed sentiments.

There are so many aspects to this. There’s the historic development of establishing Christmas and the many secular / pagan traditions and symbols that were given new meaning. I could come at this from the fact that we live in a nation based on the ground-breaking, history-changing concept of having a complete separation of Church and State. But I’ll look at this from who I am as Pastor of a local congregation and as a minister of the Gospel.

Personally, I don’t think Jesus would want us to make a big deal about his birthday, regardless of what date he was actually born. But, since we do, I think it’s necessary for people who are Christian to do so in the same manner and purpose that Jesus called his disciples – including you and me.

He called them to be in community with one another. He brought people close to him by attraction, not with in-your-face belligerence. He acknowledged who people were at the place they were in life. Instead of demanding the people meet his every expectation so that he felt all warm and fuzzy inside with the threat of ignoring them if they failed to, he interacted with them on their level and in their world view.

If celebrating Christmas is about being completely self-absorbed and self-centered, then complain away. Go ahead and bellyache to the cashiers; bellow about your local government officials; blast ‘this decadent society’; because there’s something that isn’t totally to your liking. And, oh yes – I almost forgot. Announce your displeasure in such a way so the impression might be that you’re offended for Jesus.

But, on the other hand, if celebrating Christmas is about bringing glory and honor to Jesus, then live out your commitment to Jesus during the Advent season just as you would any other time of the year. Model Jesus’ attitudes and demeanor in every aspect of your life. Interact with people in such a way so that people who don’t know might say to themselves, “Was - - was that – Jesus?!?”

In my opinion, that would be the ultimate celebration of Jesus’ life. And birth.

4 comments:

  1. Brother, another good post! It's funny; i just got finished reading your december's newsletter "Note for the Pastor's Corner". I was wondering if you have it online anywhere. I'd really like to pass it on to some...friends. It's worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is on-line, Bro. Go to our church's web site - fbc-cs.com - and click on the Pastor's Corner link. And thanks! Let me know what you think of the web site, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article, Bud! I appreciate your thoughtful approach to this subject. With your permission I would like to share your article (attributing to you as the author, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Dennis! Sure - you can use it however you wish. No attribution necessary.

    In some ways, I understand the sentiment. Many people would like the world to be different. I would like it to be different. So, I believe part of our task is to be the difference we want (to borrow a phrase from someone else - and I don't know who that someone else is).

    ReplyDelete